Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I am receiving SSI benefitss from state due to my

Customer Question

I am receiving SSI benefitss from state due to my disability. I currently receive long-term disability benefits from my previous employer that in accordance with my policy will now be used to subsidize. I was told by the insurance company that my children are also entitled some benefits and they helped me apply. Now my insurance company says that the benefits given to my children also need to be turned over to them to subsidize my long-term disability is the accurate?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Can I ask you a few questions?

-

A. How old are your children ?

-

B. Are you receiving SS Disability benefits based upon your work record? (I ask because SSI is a different type of social security payment) Supplemental Security Income (or "SSI" for short) is a program for disabled persons who are low income and who have never really had a work history. Social Security Disability (or "SSD" for short) is for those persons who worked and became disabled and it is then available to the disabled person after such an injury or illness. I am assuming that you are receiving the SSD benefits rather than SSI benefits but I just wanted to check with you to be certain.

-

C. What does the written insurance policy state in black-and-white regarding the children's benefits from SSD? If the insurance company has not provided you with this information, then you should ask them for a copy so you can review it yourself.

-

MARY