NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  LICENSED NY AND NJ LAWYER
11313492

I have a friend who came to the country from Peru about 15

I have a friend who came to the country from Peru about 15 years ago. She has a child support hearing tomorrow and asked me to help her.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida She can't afford an attorney.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She makes $2,000 a month and when he stopped paying child support she has fallen way behind.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think her child support is well below what it should be given the circumstances and she needs help.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking if support can be modified in light of her financial condition?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was awarded child support. He asked for modification due to tax liens. Dept. of Revenue started the process of a hearing to determine child support now. Mathematically speaking, she has been underpaid for 3 and a half years. But, she isn't from this country and is scared to go by herself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just need to know if I can assist (represent) her in Florida court.

The court should order him to pay the arrears, and issue a judgment for the balance.

It should not permit downward midification where her expenses exist, and he should be required to file a detailed financial statement with back up showing his other obligations, but none of which take priority over the one to her for support.

Only a lawyer can represent, but the court is generally relaxed in these cases and should permit you to consult with her, but not speak for her unless she signs a power of attorney.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

very welcome

Kindly rate me 5 stars.