Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

Domestic violence. My wifes brother just had episode of

Customer Question

Domestic violence. My wifes brother just had episode of violence. His wife (guess shes my sister in law). Someone called 911. His wife punched him in the mouth. The police arrested her for "drawing blood". Couldnt argue out of ignorance. Any knowledge of this law the police upholding?
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure! The two of them are not marrid, but have been together two years in my brother in laws home. The local police have responded twice in last year for yheir fighting.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back. I can promise I haven’t disappeared but am working on your answer.

Can you please tell me what state this is in? Thanks.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 10 days ago.

It looks like the prior attorney opted out. Can you tell me what you are trying to accomplish? What kind of information would you like?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 10 days ago.

Also, in what state is this occurring?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm in Texas, ad was trying to gather information for the family on the legitimacy of locking up some one (my sister-in-law) with no criminal record of any kind for hitting her husband and giving him a bloody nose. Seems the presence of blood made it mandatory to take her to jail.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 10 days ago.

It is completely legal to arrest someone who gives their spouse a bloody nose through violence, even if the inured person doesn't want the arrest to take place. In fact, no injury need occur. Her act was a crime under Texas law.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 10 days ago.

Do you have any other questions?