Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I cannot take my boyfriend anymore. He dumped me 2 weeks ago

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I cannot take my boyfriend anymore. He dumped me 2 weeks ago but then still slept in my bed. He has his own room and bed. I thought he was trying to make it better. I canceled Thanksgiving but he insisted so I got in the mood. Had all the food and fixings here at my apartment. He pays half the rent and half the electric bill. He has been here for 2 years and he is so disrespectful to me I CANNOT take it. The final straw was last night. I had to work yesterday till 3:30pm then I went shopping till about 8 pm with my girlfriend. He wasn't home till 11:30 pm and just stopped by to tell me he was going out. I lost my mind. I mean seriously. So he got home at 4 am this morning. I Lost control because he seriously tryed sleeping in my bed again. This time absolutely not. I need him gone. And he said this morning at 4 he would get his stuff and leave in the morning. Another lie. He said I have to give him a 30 day eviction notice. Do I have to do that?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I don't have a down arrow
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Galien, Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I've never had to. I've never been married this is just a boyfriend.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would just like to know if I have to get a 30 day notice. If he dosnt want to be with me then why be here. UGH
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Tyra, I am sorry to hear about what you have to deal with. Do you own the property or do you rent? Are you both on the lease if you rent or just him?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I rent. I'm the only one on the lease

Thank you. Please allow me a moment to respond.

Since he has resided there for 2 years and does pay half the rent and electric, it would be considered a month to month tenant. As such, if his tenancy were to end, he would need to be given a 30 day notice to vacate. I understanding you are dating and broke up but from a legal standpoint, the court would view the situation and two roommates and the person on the lease wanting the other person out. If you give him the notice and he fails to vacate, you could proceed with eviction and while he remains, he also has an obligation to pay rent. As such, he would need to pay for December and vacate by the 31st.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!