Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been directed by the police to file a restraining

Customer Question

hello,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have been directed by the police to file a restraining order on my current lanlord who has verbally harassed me and slandered me twice both times the police were called. She will not amend the lease ultimately locking us in the lease for the remaining months so I don't have a way of getting away from her. I am not sure if I need to file a civil harassment retraining order or a temporary restraining order as It is 3 more months until we can vacate.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Los Angeles, CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I haven't Well my boyfriend has discussed our rights as tenants in a rent controlled house with a lawyer in depth but I have not had a chance to discuss with a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if there is a case here, she has defamed my character, lied numerous times about myself and my family, and publicly slandered me. I'm aware there's no physical harm done, but she lives on the same property as me and I am genuinely worried about safety and afraid at any point she will trespass and harass me again at any point. Amidst her outburst just the other day when I had to call the police on her, she threatened me saying that I was harassing her and she would file a restraining order on me. The polie instructed me to do this to her and reassured me that she seemed very unstable when they spoke with her. I am scared she might lie to hurt me in court
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Do you know why she is doing this? Is this related to anything with the lease or just the way she is as a person and issues she has.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has indicated that it is a personal issue in her outbursts