Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Getting a divorce and there is a farm Corporation involved.

Customer Question

getting a divorce and there is a farm Corporation involved. how will the corporation property be split? I live in Montana
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Montana is an equitable distribution state. This means that the Court would divide marital property equitably, but not necessarily 50/50 if the parties do not come to agreement with regard to the division after review of various factors. These factors include the contribution of each party to the acquisition of the property and the contribution of each party to the mortgage. The division may be 100/0; 90/10; 80/20; 70/30; 60/40; 50/50. See Montana Code Title 40 Chapter 4 Part 2 Section 40-4-202. Marital properties are the properties acquired during the marriage. Any property acquired before the marriage is not a marital property and it is therefore not subject to division.