Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I am looking looking into getting a divorce from my wife of

Customer Question

Hello I am looking looking into getting a divorce from my wife of 12 years . We got married in St. Lucia and are not residents of St. Lucia but the Turks and Caicos Islands. I was wondering if you can assist me or point me in the rite direction in getting the process moving along. I have certificates etc and need to know where i can find the appropriate forms to start filing for this divorce. Any information you can assist me with would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: im in the caribbean i dont live in the US
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet was looking for a online solution if possible
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really just looking to get a divorce both parties are in agreement and we both live outside the USa
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you already establish permanent residence in the Turks and Caicos Islands?

Are you planning to hire a local island attorney to help you with your divorce process?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i am a citizen no I have not hired a local attorney as yet.

Thank you for your follow up.

Well, the divorce proceedings would generally have to be initiated where spouses legally reside now, regardless of where the marriage was registered.

So, the divorce would have to be pursued in Turks and Caicos local court.

Here is the link to the island's laws that actually govern divorce process and which you can review:

http://www.tciyellowpages.com/templates/jt006_j15/images/tcilegislation/Divorce%20Law%20Ordinance.pdf

Also, it would make sense to at least obtain an initial consultation with a local divorce attorney, who can evaluate your entire case and can suggest best strategy and plan of action and also can give you an estimate of what the legal fees might be, should you decide to hire a local attorney to assist you with the divorce process.

Because the island is relatively small, there is not many attorneys who specialize in family law, but you can find couple at the link below:

http://www.hg.org/law-firms/divorce/turks_and_caicos-islands.html

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.