Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I was arrested last week, spent the night in jail and bonded

Customer Question

I was arrested last week, spent the night in jail and bonded out the next day. Today I received a letter from the city court requiring I attend a bond hearing on dec 14th, 2015 or a warrant will be issued. Why would I have to attend a bond hearing if the judge set my bond and I bonded out last week?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Were you already arraigned on your charges? Was this a felony charge or a misdemeanor?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

There's not enough information to do anything more than guess as to what's happening here, but either the prosecution or the defense can call for a review of the bond conditions, even if you're out on bond and have not violated the terms.

It sometimes means that the state has gotten additional evidence, and will be adding additional charges to the docket or investigating the possibility of further charges. It can also mean that there's new information about your personal or criminal background and the DA has reason to believe that you're a flight risk. If your case was a felony matter, it may mean you've been indicted, and there would be an arraignment and a bond hearing on the indicted charges.

One way or the other, you are at risk for higher bond being set. So you do want to be in court on the 14th , and it's best that you have a lawyer to make an argument for no change of your present bond conditions. The lawyer can contact the DA and learn why the state is asking for higher bond so that he and you can be prepared for the hearing.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.