Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I will be filing a complaint for multiple counts as a pro se

I will be filing a complaint for multiple counts as a pro se in Massachusetts. What are the considerations for choosing Superior Court vs. District Court? Which would you recommend for a pro se who has the time and has good capabilities for taking this on?

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The primary consideration is the amount of damages being sought. The District Court can only hear cases where the plaintiff is not likely to recover more than $25,000. The Superior Court has jurisdiction in cases where the plaintiff is seeking $25,000 or more.

The District Court is generally a bit more user friendly. They have plenty of forms online that can be used to open a case. You have to draft your own Complaint in Superior Court. Also, the filing fees tend to be higher in Superior Court.

But those things don't come into play for most litigants, because the starting point is the amount of money.

Do you have any other questions about this?