JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I have a daughter and her father leaved when she was 1 year

Customer Question

Hello, I have a daughter and her father leaved when she was 1 year old and now she's 6, is there any way to get her passport with out her father signature?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he sign the paternity documents when my daughter was born and I want the full custody but I do not have any information of him
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 18 days ago.

If you are wanting to try and get the passport without the father's consent there are really only two ways.

1) You can file a lawsuit asking the court to order that you are allowed to sign the passport application for both parents. Of course, this is expensive since it is a lawsuit and will need a lawyer. There aren't any forms available for this since it is done so rarely and thus a lawyer is really required, or

2) You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances." The form can be found at http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/217450.pdf . You need to put as much information as possible on there and then be prepared to proved anything else they ask for.

The full info on how to submit for a child's passport can be found at https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/under-16.html . That also has a link to the form you need (the same form).

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 18 days ago.

I just received a call and I have to go to court but should be back in an hour or so. I will check back online to see if you have posted any follow ups at that time. Please ask any follow up questions necessary to be sure you understand this issue.