Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can you sue your spouse for not only cheating but for

Customer Question

Can you sue your spouse for not only cheating but for getting an STD and giving it to you?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

The actions of the spouse are certainly grounds for and a basis for a divorce. Moreover, the spouse can go after and ask for the soon to be ex to pay for their medical bills and expenses, for treatment and care, as a result of the STD. As far as suing them and getting monetary damages, it is unlikely. However, adultery is considered a criminal offense against morality and decency under South Carolina law and can be punished by a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail.