Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My partner had a daughter from a prior relationship and she

Customer Question

My partner had a daughter from a prior relationship and she has 2 children who I consider my granddaughters but do not have any legal family connection on paper. I love my grandchildren but have always had difficulties with their mother. The girls want to spend Thanksgiving with me and their mother had agreed since she will be out of state over the holiday. Last night she changed her mind and said that she doesn't want the girls to come to my house for Thanksgiving and that she will call the police if I pick them up from school on Wednesday as we had originally planned. Can the girls legally choose where to spend their holiday at the ages of 14 and 16?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, so long as the children are minors, their parents have the final say on where they can go and with whom they will spend holidays, unless there is a court order to the contrary.

So, no, a teenager can not legally choose to spend the holidays with you if their mother object.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.