RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

If a couple is married but not civil only by religious

Customer Question

if a couple is married but not civil only by religious ceremony for 2 years does wife have any rights
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: only in a religious ceremony
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the husband left and took away ring now wants to take away car . there is a one year old baby. he doesn't want to give wife any money
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 14 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Florida would not recognize the marriage if there was no marriage license singed and filed here from the ceremony.Florida does not recognize common law.

Reference

A "common law marriage" is one in which the parties may hold themselves out as a husband and wife, and under certain circumstances, be deemed married without a marriage license or ceremony. Florida doesn't have a common law marriage, however Florida does recognize common law marriages that occurred in other states.

Common Law Marriage in Florida - Florida Divorce

If you were common law in another state then it is possible that Florida courts would recognize it.

The wife here would want to file for paternity and possibly sue the other spouse if they are not common law she still has rights to child support and her share of any assets.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.Let me know if you have more follow up.