How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115455
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently filed for dissolution of marriage with minor

Customer Question

I recently filed for dissolution of marriage with minor children. I filed for divorce and asked for physical custody of my children. I recieved mail yesterday a month after filing for a default judgement because the other oarty was served and didnt file a response. So yesterday i received mail from the court of the papers filled out when I filed the papers for a default judgement. On the letter i received it said that I would officially be divorced march 17, 2017 but no mention of a default on custody order. Since the other didnt respond does that mean the child custody order will still go through? Do i wait for a separate piece of mail stating what the custody order is?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The last thing that was filed was The notice for default judgement since the other didnt file a response to the divorce/child custody papers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The dissolution of marriage and custody/property issues are generally separate parts of the divorce action. However, if when you filed for default you asked for a default order of divorce AND a default on the custody motion, you should get it all in one order. It is all dependent on what you asked for in the default. If all you asked for was default for the divorce itself, that is all you will get the order on and you need to file another motion for default for the motion for custody of the children.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions