Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

Brandon you answered a question for me in the past thought i

Customer Question

Hey Brandon you answered a question for me in the past thought i would seek your wisdom again.
As stated before my mom & dad are going through a divorce. In getting records together we have discovered that he has a saftey deposit box at a bank where they have a joint account. When he opened the box he opened it only in his name. So there for my mom can't get in it. She would like to see in it before he clears it out.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 14 days ago.

Good evening. Thank for asking for me. Do we know if he opened the safety deposit box after the divorce was filed? Or was it before? (if known)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was before

Interesting. Was it opened during or before their marriage?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They have been marred 34 years. The affair started a little over 2 years ago. He has left 6 times but came back. This time she kicked him out and the divorce proceeding have started. He opened the Saftey deposit box in February of this year and left for two months that following month.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 11 days ago.

I am now. Both parties to a divorce are required, as part of the divorce proceeding, to disclose all of their assets and debts to each other. If your mother fears that your father is keeping something in the safety deposit box and intends to conceal it from her, there's really no way to keep him from doing that except through a court order. That would require going to court and getting the court to order the bank to open the safety deposit box, or something similar like ordering your father to open it in her presence. I'm sorry to say that the process of doing all this is a bit complicated, so I can describe the "what" but not so much the "how" in this forum-- your mother will want to consult with an attorney to ensure that it is done properly and her rights are protected.