Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Do you use private investgator to find spouse's hidding

Customer Question

Do you use private investgator to find spouse's hidding assets?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 17 days ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Not always, but this is certainty possible and done often.
However, PIs do not do anything extraordinary. They simply know where to look. The most commonly used method of obtaining asset information in such a situation if it is believed that the spouse is lying is by public records:
1. Dissolution Decrees and Property Settlement Agreements;
2. Statements and Schedules in a dismissed bankruptcy case;
3. UCC Filings;
4. Secretary of State Department of Motor Vehicles;
5. Credit Reports;
6. Corporation Commission;
7. County Assessor’s Office; and
8. County Recorder’s Office.
PIs use all these to possible find records and connections to third parties with whom they may have hidden those assets.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How private investgator's report relaiable in divorce court in New York?
Why forensic accountant can not do same job as pI.?
Expert:  Ely replied 16 days ago.
Their reports are normally deemed pretty reliable because they are backed up by proof (public record, or, video/audio tape, etc).
Forensic accountants do not do the same thing as private investigators. FAs go over financial paperwork to find mistakes and hidden assets, as well as search public records. PIs tend to research people, follow them, and search public records as well.
So while there is some overlap, they have different qualifications and work differently. I suppose you can use EITHER for strictly tracing assets.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 12 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Forensic accountant just checked back 2-3 years which I think my spouse clean up or moved assets way back.
If spouse moved assets to his family member in oversea, which way is the best to trace it?