Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am filing for divorce. We have been separated for 9 years.

Customer Question

I am filing for divorce. We have been separated for 9 years. She up and left the state with the children and I have no clue where she is. Should I file it as abandonment or as a regular divorce ?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 17 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...once you file you will need to "serve" her...do you anticipate once you track her down and she realizes there is a pending divorce she will work with you? Or fight the divorce?