Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My teenage son was upset about his report card. He went to

Customer Question

My teenage son was upset about his report card. He went to the adjustment counselor at his school and said he didn't feel like himself lately and that he feels depressed sometimes. He then said "I would never hurt anyone, but now I know how someone can hurt innocent people." Of course the school thinks they have a school shooter on their hands. So they told him he had to leave the school and could not return until he has a "safety evaluation" at a facilitiy that they want him to go to. I would like our own therapist to do this evaluation, but the school said no, he has to go to the facility they mentioned. I'm sure they'll say he's no threat but I'm afraid this will affect his ability to get into college and will be on his permanent record. Right now, I need to know whether or not to send him to the facility the school recommended or use our own therapist who knows my son.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By the school? no, I don't think so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 15 days ago.

Is the school labeling this a "suspension?"

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I already sent him to the facility they requested because they would not allow him to return to school if he didn't and I didn't get an answer. No it is not a suspension.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 15 days ago.

So is he back in school yet? What is the current status? And if you already took him there, what is your question at this time?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have no question anymore, it was too late. Thanks anyway.