ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If a 17yr old want leave home and leave elsewhere, what do

Customer Question

if a 17yr old want leave home and leave elsewhere, what do they need to do other than leave a note saying they are leaving and living else where.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: texas and he wants to still go to school, he is a senior
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If the 17 year old wants to stay away but the parents want the child returned, the 17 year old would have to get emancipated by a court. A child must be 18 to leave home without a parents permission; unless he or she is legally married.

A child over 17 cannot be picked up by juvenile probation because he/she is over 17 already. However, the parents can call the police to come bring the child home. The child is not emancipated by a court, cannot sign legal documents. Now if the parents do nothing, then there's no issue. But if the parents want the child home, the child would need to file for emancipation to prevent being home.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 23 days ago.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 22 days ago.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 18 days ago.

I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.