Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I wanna adopt my girlfriends daughter i been with her for 8

Customer Question

i wanna adopt my girlfriends daughter i been with her for 8 yrs and.her daughterhas no father on the birth certificate amd i been in her life since she was 1
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 17 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In order to do this, you would likely have to first marry your girlfriend in order to be the mother's spouse and stepfather to the child. Then, you would need to file a petition for adoption and ask the court to issue a summons to the father (known or unknown) and then get a court order approving the adoption and amending the birth certificate to name you as the father.

This certainly can be done, but you must follow the proper procedure and get a court order to make things official and legal.