originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

Can you really help me, I'm in texas, I tried contacting one

Customer Question

Can you really help me
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I'm in texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I tried contacting one but I have to wait
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Okay I'm 20 and my girl friend is 17 I just want to know can I get on trouble for dating and having sex with her
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes – I’d like to review your question for a minute and then I’ll be right back.

Expert:  originallawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hello:

The age of consent in Texas is 17. So your girlfriend, if she is 17, may consent to have sex with you.

However, she is still a minor and if she lives with her parents, they can try to keep her from dating you. But legally, as long as she ALWAYS consents to intimate activity, each time that activity occurs, you are not doing anything legally wrong.