Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

I'd like to confirm if my siblings and I were cut out of the

Customer Question

I'd like to confirm if my siblings and I were cut out of the family will - please check out the details below.
I won't go into all the specifics, but my father committed suicide about 8 years ago and since then his side of the family and my siblings and I have not had a great relationship, quit poor to be exact.
At any rate, my grandmother passed about a month ago and I received an updated Last WIll on my doorstep this afternoon.
Here are the details I am reading, I am about 99% sure we are cut out of the will, but would like folks input. We have been invited to a probate hearing a month from now, would like to know what to do.
Here is what the states:
"I have intentionally limited gifts to my descendants to those descendants who are expressly provided for in this instrument. Any omission is intentional and not occasioned by accident or mistake. It is my specific intent that except as expressly provided for herein, I make no provision for the descendants (myself) of my deceased children "My Father's Name".
I am not a lawyer, but pretty sure I can understand this language. Thanks in advance for any insight and detail.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 months ago.

Good evening. Before answering, I should give advise that because the nuances of every case are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without first consulting an attorney in person who can review the entire document. That said, the language of that paragraph is clear -- the decedent has expressed, in that paragraph, that she has cut out the grand children of her deceased children. You didn't say that your father is the son of your deceased grandmother (that would make her your "paternal grandmother"), so assuming that your father, who committed suicide 8 years ago, is the son of the grandmother who passed one month ago, this paragraph would exclude you from inheriting from her estate. I am sorry.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are completely finished (it does not cost anything extra for you to do so, and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!