Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Please. i have had my grandkids for 6 weeks. there mother

Customer Question

please. i have had my grandkids for 6 weeks. there mother has only seen them for. i will give her about 12 hours. she is getting welfare for them and not helping pay for anything. she will not give me a number to get a hold of her. they are sick and on med's and she doesn't even know. was wondering what my rights are. here is the thing my grandson is mine but my granddaughter is not really mine. we just accepted her as ours.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: we are in PA. no i haven't done anything because she is very nasty she will take them and i will not know where they are. she is on herion really bad
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just trying to find out what i can do for my babies
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you are saying that the mother has essentially abandoned the children in your care, then you could contact the local courts and file a petition for emergency guardianship so that you would become their legal guardians and the mother couldn't remove them from your custody.

.

Assuming that the petition is granted, then you could move towards a permanent guardianship so that the mother would not be able to ever take them away from your custody.

.

I would suggest contacting a local family law attorney or the local Legal Aid office to see if they could help you get the petition filed so you could ensure that you can protect the children from their mother's self destructive actions..

.

.

thanks