Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I had my girl friends seperated husband come to my house and

Customer Question

I had my girl friends seperated husband come to my house and was grabbing a hold of her and i told him to stop he then charged me and i beat him up and was charged with harassment on my own property for defending myself. I got a fine, should I pay the fine or is it worth pleading not guilty to. cops said beings i hit him first it was a mutual fight but it wasnt i did not ask for him to come there
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 21 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It's a defense to an assault charge that the other person initiated the fight, or that you were acting in defense of someone else. However, you're only allowed to use proportional force to what he was using. If he took a swing at you and you hit him once, that's proportional. I'm a little concerned by your use of the phrase "beat him up," because it sounds like you may have gone beyond what was necessary to defend yourself.

Most people in this position will plead not guilty, request a lawyer, and then try to negotiate a plea bargain. Look at whether they're charging you with an infraction or a misdemeanor, and then decide whether you'd prefer to spend the time in court defending the ticket. If it's an infraction, there's no constitutional right to have a lawyer represent you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?