Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My "daughter", niece's mother died over 5 years ago. As a

Customer Question

My "daughter", niece's mother died over 5 years ago. As a family I am the one she has lived with the longest. Not sure who has technical custody. Her biologic father has not seen in in 6 or 7 years. She is now 16. How can I adopt her without a lot of legal fees.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in fl - biological father in sc
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not. She is a soph. in HS and went to her visit. Financial aid came into question and I have no answers. Her father wants nothing to do with her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just curious if I have to have a lawyer to file paperwork to adopt her legally or if it will be difficult due to her situation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Will the father consent to allowing you to adopt the child?

.

.

thanks