FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

How do I find out if my marriage is legal, CA, Lots Angeles

Customer Question

How do I find out if my marriage is legal
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Lots Angeles country County
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Los Angeles
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 20 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please share with me a little more about the situation?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was married in Los Angeles county I want to know if my marraige is legal

Did you file a marriage certificate? Who conducted the ceremony?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was married in 2015 i recently caught my wife cheating on me. Her name is ***** ***** maiden name. She said she filled it but something went wrong. I just need to know what is going on. We have a1 year old daughter together.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My name is***** her name is*****
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Jack Bates conducted the ceremony

I am sorry to hear about this. In order to find out if you are legally married, in CA, you need to go to the clerk of court, in the county where you resided and filed the marriage certificate. To know if this was legally, both parties must have appeared in person and brought valid picture identification to the County Clerk’s Office to apply for a marriage license in California.Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. If you do not get married within 90 days, the license will no longer be valid.

California Family Code, Section 400, states the persons authorized to solemnize marriage ceremonies in California are as follows:

A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.

A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.

A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.

Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States.

A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.

A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.

A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.

A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.

A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.

The person solemnizing the marriage must return the original marriage license to the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. Addresses should be on the county site.

If all this was done then you should be legally married.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 17 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How do I find out if divorce was filed?

You can either look online through the clerk of courts website and see if you name or the other parties name is ***** ***** and/or call the clerk of court directly and ask them to look it up. They will be able to advise if this was filed and ordered by the Judge. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 14 days ago.