RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I want to renegotiate a 4-year-old alimony. My ex-wife is

Customer Question

I want to renegotiate a 4-year-old alimony. My ex-wife is gainfully employed and has been living with a millionaire in a mansion for several years. Our son graduates college in a year. I'm in arrears $177K because I've never again made the amount of money in the divorce decree. I've also been unemployed several times in the past 3 years, with arrears mounting and mounting. It's a NY divorce, even though we lived in Texas and raised our kids there. When separated, I got a job in NY, and that's where she served me. I live in Texas now, as does she. Presently, the NJ courts are garnishing my pay here, since I lived in NJ for a little while as well. Thanks. I know it is a complicated case.
JA: Have formal divorce proceedings begun? At what stage of the process are you?
Customer: The divorce was final in Dec. 2012
JA: Because family law varies from state to state, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It was filed in NY, tho we both lived in Texas. I just happened to be working and temp. living in NY while we were separated.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We both live in TX now and NJ is garnishing me.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 22 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here are the forms you would file if you want to modify the current amount.This would at least end the growing arrears if the judge agrees.You are also able to seek to resolve the arrears separately by written signed agreement with the ex under NY law.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/forms/Local/Family/SupportModification.pdf

Here is step by step to file yourself

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/diy/supportmodification.shtml

You would have to travel to NY tot he court where divorce was granted.The motion can be filed by mail with court clerk.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.