Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have been in a term live in relationship and found out my

Customer Question

I have been in a long term live in relationship and found out my significant other was an imposter, liar, cheater and fraud, I moved out while he was away on business and took everything , can I be charged with any crime of any sort? What are my rights? Can I sue him?  JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Houston texas JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: No JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I am frim California, he proposed and moved me and my minor daughter here under false pretense. We have been engaged for 3 years only to find out everything about him was lies

Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 20 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you took property that belongs to him/was purchased by him, or property that the two of you owned/purchased together, then you could face conversion (civil) or theft (criminal) claims. More than likely, a court would consider these things civil since you lived together and this occurred as a result of a break up.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

Can I sue him legally for the false pretense of the union, moving me here etc

Expert:  Roger replied 20 days ago.

If you didn't marry, there would be few claims possible. But, you may be able to sue under a claim of detrimental reliance....which is when you incur expenses and damages as a result of your reliance on the false representations made to you.

Expert:  Roger replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for your question, and please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!