How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 18585
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad has 2md stage dementia very confused has catarats is

Customer Question

My dad has 2md stage dementia very confused has catarats is becoming combative can my sisterand me get guardianship wehave power of attorney for health care, How do we det him in a facilty for dementia getting hard tocare forhim
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: We are in Iowa he's been here from mo for two months. The hospital helped us get the papers for power of attorney for health care no other papers have been filed. Has history of alcoholism
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is 83 with history of mental Illness.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you already have Power of Attorney for Health Care, you do not need to also obtain a Guardianship in order to get him into a nursing facility. The Power of Attorney for Health Care is sufficient to give you the authority to act on his behalf.

You need to locate the facilities around the area and put an application for his admission to the facility. The facilities that you contact would assist you with the application process.

Best wishes,

Related Family Law Questions