How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a married mother with no custody orders on my 6 year

Customer Question

I am a married mother with no custody orders on my 6 year old son, I went to his school to make an address change because I have been primary guardian of him since pre-k (he is now in first) but they would not let me withdraw him because he was enrolled with his fathers previous address and they took it upon themselves to name him primary guardian since it was his address even thought I take him and pick him up from school everyday, I am only trying to move schools , same school districts to make our commute easier every morning but I was told they needed a notarized letter from father. Is that true I still have full custody just like him. Is there something I can do? Writing from Texas.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

If you are still married, and there are no custody orders, then both parents have full rights to the child. There is no basis for their inference that he is the "primary guardian." You should be able to move schools without the notarized letter. But just because you have the legal right to do something doesn't mean that the school district doesn't have their policies. I think they must be trying to avoid conflict when parents do not agree in situations such as yours, but it makes no sense to me how they are coming up with a "primary guardian" based on the address. You might call the school board and see if they can help.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Can you please let me know if I answered your question? If so, would you please provide a positive rating? I really appreciate positive feedback. Thanks.

Related Family Law Questions