Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am in NY. I'm a male with 5 kids at home (ages 9yrs to 15

Customer Question

I am in NY. I'm a male with 5 kids at home (ages 9yrs to 15 yrs) and a wife who works part-time. I was earning $300k + $100k bonus, but got laid off. Now unemployed. We are going through marriage counseling but I see it is headed toward divorce. I have a few basic questions: 1) what will I be responsible to pay if I am unemployed and can't find work? A %% of unemployment benefits or the theoretical what I "could" be earning (but $300k jobs don't grow on trees)! 2) I filed for bankruptcy 9 yrs ago because we had a lot of expenses; everything incl the mortgage was tossed into the bankruptcy. We do not "own" the apartment, but the bank (Wells Fargo) is allowing us to remain in it as long as we make monthly payments. Do I have to keep doing that, or will it be covered by the child support?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 30 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

I have a few basic questions: 1) what will I be responsible to pay if I am unemployed and can't find work? A %% of unemployment benefits or the theoretical what I "could" be earning (but $300k jobs don't grow on trees)!

Response 1: A percentage of your benefits.

2) I filed for bankruptcy 9 yrs ago because we had a lot of expenses; everything incl the mortgage was tossed into the bankruptcy. We do not "own" the apartment, but the bank (Wells Fargo) is allowing us to remain in it as long as we make monthly payments. Do I have to keep doing that, or will it be covered by the child support?

Response 2: You have to keep doing that until the Court rules whether you can still afford to do so. Child support would be a separate issue