RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My spouse and I just separated a week ago and are headed for

Customer Question

My spouse and I just separated a week ago and are headed for collaborative divorce. It's open enrollment time, I'm trying to properly word in a text (paper trail) that I should be left on his policy. I want to make sure what I'm saying is accurate since he'll most certainly look it up. I also don't want to upset the apple cart, as it were. Is it true that they need my approval to take me off the policy? I was also instructed to inform his HR department that I should be left on the policy for next year.
JA: Have formal divorce proceedings begun? At what stage of the process are you?
Customer: meeting with lawyers. talking with him tomorrow about the collaborative process. Will start that process after talking with him.
JA: Because family law varies from state to state, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nebrask a
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you want me to provide what I've crafted for a text thus far?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 29 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I can send you the wording I've crafted this far if you like.

If you divorce here the employer likely can terminate coverage.Even if it is in the decree you need to call his hr to make sure that he can carry you post divorce.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
My question is what would accurate wording be in a text to ensure I remain covered?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Open enrollment is now

You can include this but know that it is subject to the employer allowing it.Once you divorce you have no legal relationship.So yes post the wording here.

You may end up in Obama Care-not this is a life changing event open enrollment year round for divorce.

If you post your language be happy to comment.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hold pls

Take your time, thanks.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I wanted to make sure you are aware that while we are still legally married, my health coverage cannot be canceled. I know it's open enrollment time so please let me know if I need to sign anything. Further detail will be discussed as we finalize the decree. Also, I've been instructed to inform your HR to make sure all is clear and nothing falls through the cracks. I will email them tomorrow if you need time to inform Patty.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thoughts?

Patty thats a good next step here. I hope he can carry you at least until the divorce and maybe longer.

I am sure this is all overwhelming I wish you the best here.

Thanks again.