Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son is married to a women from mexico and she has never

Customer Question

my son is married to a women from mexico and she has never been her or never got card to come here, now he wants to divorce her and marry someone else that is from mexico how long after he divorses her can he remarry someone else from mexco?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not in the us
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she has never came here, then no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Wisconsin, a party is not allowed to remarry within six months of getting a divorce. Any marriage within six months will be void. As to dating, there is no law about when this can begin:

765.03(2) It is unlawful for any person, who is or has been a party to an action for divorce in any court in this state, or elsewhere, to marry again until 6 months after judgment of divorce is granted, and the marriage of any such person solemnized before the expiration of 6 months from the date of the granting of judgment of divorce shall be void.

So even if he divorces and re-marries in Mexico, he is still bound to the Wisconsin statute if he lives in Wisconsin. Which means, someone in his situation would have to wait 6 months before remarrying.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.