originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

SINGLE MOTHER WITH A EXHUSBAND WHO IS A. ON PURCHASING A

Customer Question

I AM A SINGLE MOTHER WITH A EXHUSBAND WHO IS A IDIOT. I AM PLANNING ON PURCHASING A HOUSE FROM A FAMILY FRIEND. MY QUESTION IT IS A VERY NICE NEIGHBORHOOD BUT A FEW DOORS DOWN IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS A METH LAB WAS FOUND THERE AND THE GENTLEMAN WAS ARRESTED. MY EX IS NOW STATING HE IS GOING TO TAKE ME BACK TO DOMESTIS TO GET CUSTODY OF MY CHILDREN IF I MOVE THERE CAN HE DO THAT
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PENNSLYVANIA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: MY EX SAID THAT HE IS CALLING DOMESTICS TOMORROW4
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: AM I GOING TO LOSE MY KIDS IF I MOVE THERE
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

It is highly unlikely that you would lose custody of your children over this. Unless the neighborhood is full of meth dealers, I don't see a Judge preventing you from moving because one person made a bad decision. If it was only one meth house and it's been shut down and the person imprisoned, your ex is probably out of luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THE EX SISTER OF THIS PERSON LIVES IN THE HOUSE THAT THEY FOUND THE METH LAB IN SHE IS A HARD WORKING CITIZEN. BUT THE METH PERSON IS IN JAIL . ALL OF THE OTHER NEIGHBORS ARE NICE AND CLEAN.

Then I don't think that it should be an issue. While anything is possible in family court, I don't think a Judge tell you that you can't move there. And if the Judge did tell you that you couldn't move there, that wouldn't mean losing your children, that would just mean you couldn't move there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
IS THERE ANY LEGAL ARGUEMENT THAT SAYS THAT I CANNOT LIVE THERE.. I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BETTER LIFE FOR ME AND MY KIDS BY BUYING A HOUSE

The court looks at the best interest of the children. So if the Judge were to find somehow that it was not in your children's best interest to live there, the Judge could tell you that you could not take the children with you when you moved. It's not up to your ex, it's up to the Judge.