FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If I am claiming common law marriage for health benefits for

Customer Question

if I am claiming common law marriage for health benefits for my person do we need to file taxes together as well?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes he is behind on federal taxes
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 28 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

It is at your discretion. Taxpayers may use the married filing jointly status if they are married and both agree to file a joint return.

This includes:

• taxpayers who live together in a common-law marriage recognized by the state where the marriage began
    • Common-law states: Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas
  • taxpayers who live apart but are not legally separated
  • taxpayers whose spouses died during the year and who have not remarried

Both husband and wife must sign the income tax return. Special rules apply when a spouse cannot sign the tax return because of death, illness, or absence.

Both husband and wife are responsible for any tax owed.

The lowest tax rates apply to the married filing jointly filing status.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!