Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

I was actually trying to look up visitation percentages for

Customer Question

Hello, I was actually trying to look up visitation percentages for the visitation schedule my soon to be ex husband is requesting
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, its been hard to afford one here. Retainer fees are pretty high ive been a single parent for a year now, ex has been an absent parent and now would like all this visitatoin time, to reduce the amount of child support he would have to pay
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I have court to finalize visitation schedule this wed. and Im trying to decide whats best he wants every other weekend from friday to monday am. and every tuesday overnight, 1/2 holidays and 2 weeks in summer/
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats pretty much it, just the visitation quetsions
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Husband left oct 2015, literally walked out on me and our 2 boys (10 & 5) had severe emotional set backs with my oldest, had issues with school and behavior problems. Husband filed for divorce Jan 2016 of this year. Our divorce is simple. Trying to finalize the visitation schedule and child support. Wed I we have a hearing for visitation. child support will be separate case. He saw the kids a total of 14 times during the last year. He is now wanting all this time in order to reduce the amount he might have to pay in child support. He has not given any child support. He wants the following schedule:
Every other weekend (friday afterschool ~5:30pm till Monday morning ~8:00am) Every Tuesday overnight and drop off at school Wed am. 1/2 holidays, and 2 weeks in summer. Does this add up to 50/50 visitation? I went into debt over the last year because of his absense, and lack of support. I also know that this schedule wont last, and he will flake once court is behind us. Hes an emotionally abusive person and I already see signs of abuse with the kids. I just dont know what to do.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 26 days ago.

Good evening. I am a California licensed attorney. His proposed time share definitely doesn't add up to 50/50, but it's a significant chunk of time. If he had custody every other weekend from Friday 5:30pm - Monday 8:00am, every Tuesday from 5:30pm - Wednesday 8:00am, 1/2 holidays (assuming 12 holidays per year) and 2 weeks in the summer, that would give him approximately 31.5% physical custody.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so, and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!