Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am tryinh2 to get some type of visitation rites for my

Customer Question

i am tryinh2 to get some type of visitation rites for my children i lost my rights 3 years ago
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: it happened in ohio but my daughter now lives in OK and my son lives in OH still
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: idk and idk how to find out i went prison
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had a drug problem and went to prison is y i lost them
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You had a court terminate your parental rights already? To be clear, it was a termination of parental rights or the court just gave the other parent sole custody?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No the father in the case of my son that lives in Ohio the court awarded my son's grandmother custody and my daughter that lives in OK her father was awarded custody
Thank you for your reply.
So, at this point you have to file two separate court actions, one in OH and one in OK to seek reunification and rights to your children. You must file what is called a Motion to Modify Custody to get your custody of your children back. You have to file and provide proof to the court that you are fit to have access to your children, because the US Supreme Court has stated you have a civil right to your children unless you are proven to be unfit. See: Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000).
So you need to file in each court to prove to the court you are now fit to have your children and that you have a constitutional right to be allowed custody and or visitation with your children to get the court to change their current court orders.