Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My ex wife continues to take our childrentoexcesdive dr

Customer Question

Good afternoon- my ex wife continues to take our childrentoexcesdive dr appts without telling me. She turnouts me doe as responsible party and does not put my insurance down as often puts her address. She did this right before my wife and I were going to purchase a new home. She is suppose to pay 25 percent of all medical expenses and hasn't paid a penny. The bills have insane. Can she put my name down as the responsible party if I am not aware of at the appt?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the court custody order says you are responsible for 75% of the medical expenses, she can put you down as responsible party even if you are not aware of the appointment, but that is not the area you need to be fighting this on.
If she is making unnecessary and excessive medical appointments, you need to file a motion for order to show cause for contempt of court and show the court that these appointments are really unnecessary and excessive and that she is not only purposely incurring unnecessary expenses but also she is not paying her 25% as ordered by the court. The court can step in and review the records and not only order her to pay the 25% but can also order that she either cease the unnecessary appointments or they will threaten to remove the child from her care. But you have to take this to court to prove these appointments are excessive and unnecessary AND prove she is not paying her share for them as ordered by the court and the court will find her in contempt and order her not only to pay her share but can also order her to pay your costs and attorney's fees for having to take her to court for contempt of court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.