Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

What document is considered stronger to the court; a Motion

What document is considered stronger to the court; a Motion or an Affadavit?

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A motion and affidavit serve different purposes, so typically a person would file both at once. A Motion is a request for the judge to do something, which usually cites the relevant law and procedural background of the case. An affidavit is a sworn statement of relevant facts that pertain to the issue before the court, but it doesn't raise an issue or seek specific relief. An affidavit filed on its own does not ask the judge to do anything and could be rejected. It has to be attached to a Motion. A motion can be considered without an attached affidavit, but the affidavit often makes it stronger.

So, the strongest thing would be to file both together.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?