RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I got engaged to a military person over a month ago. He

Customer Question

I got engaged to a military person over a month ago. He deploys in January. We want to get married before he leaves but i am not a U.S. Citizen. Can we still get married before he leaves and file all proper paperwork on time without him getting in any trouble?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you are able to marry here even if you are here on say a temporary visa.You can marry and then apply to remain in the US since you will be married to a US citizen.There is not a problem with marrying while you are here.You likely will have to return to your country and return with a new visa in hand once married and seeking to remain in the US to be with your spouse.No problem with getting married while you are in the US on a visa.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Congratulations on the marriage.

This would not have any effect on his career or cause him any trouble either.You just need to go get the marriage license and have civil ceremony here.