RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Me and my husband separated but he is seeing others but he

Customer Question

me and my husband separated but he is seeing others but he was also before I left him I have texts from several woman will I be in title to anything from him
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: mississippi
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he has 2 houses one we move in together before marriage but I help him pay the mortgage and the other one after we was married and its a rental
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes the rental here is marital property and you may get some funds for the other one here since you contributed to it as well wit marital income.You would want your own lawyer to seek to discover any other assets.He may have hidden others, a lawyer can seek to force discovery of these.

You may also receive spousal support here as well as the division of property and income for the time you are married.

Mississippi courts presume that all property a couple accumulates during marriage is marital property. Property one spouse brings into the marriage or acquires by gift or inheritance is that spouse’s separate property, provided the claiming spouse can demonstrate ownership with financial records or other documents. While separate property is not ordinarily part of a division in divorce, Mississipi law allows a judge to include it if equitable factors--meaning factors that will make the decision fair--require inclusion.

Marital and separate property are often mixed together—sometimes called “commingling.” Some couples combine their separate assets intentionally; others do it without thinking or meaning to. A premarital bank account belonging to one spouse can become marital property if the other spouse makes deposits to it; a house owned by one spouse alone can become marital property if both spouses pay the mortgage and other expenses.

If the spouses aren’t able to decide what belongs to whom, the judge will have to decide whether to treat any property as the separate property of one spouse.

So you may well have rights to the properties and other assets and to spousal support as well.

Lawyer referral

http://www.lawyers.com/mississippi/find-law-firms-by-city/

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate it is much appreciated.