Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Can a person be charger for back child support (2009) for

Customer Question

Can a person be charger for back child support (2009) for income not reported in 2016 and child is 20 years old
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I don't have the money right now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if a person intentionally failed to report income and as a result did not pay proper child support, the parent who was collecting child support can file a motion to modify support. Intentional failure to disclose or report income is considered fraud, so that is grounds for the court to retroactively adjust support based on the intentional failure to disclose. However, if you fail to bring it before the child turns 21, you would lose the right to the claim, so you need to go to legal aid to get a local attorney if you cannot afford one.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.