Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My son and his girlfriend had a baby in july of this

Customer Question

my son and his girlfriend had a baby in july of this year....the girlfriend is taking off with a known drug dealer several times since she has been born....and will not let my son know the whereabouts of his daughter.....my son works 9 to 12 hours a day ....yesterday she was caught with this guy again....what can he do to get custody of his daughter
JA: Who currently has legal custody of the child?
Customer: neither one
JA: Because family law varies from state to state, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: pennsylvania
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes she has actually taken the baby and stayed at this know drug dealers house and refuses to tell anyone where this house is at....she will leave for hours and hours at a time she did this yesterday and left the baby with my son and her son from another father with him......and was running around with this guy.....another time the bar broke down and she stayed in the wood with these two children and this other guy
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 29 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your son will need an attorney I am afraid as he will need to go to court to file a petition for custody of the child and if she is acting this way she is going to likely fight him. Going to court in PA is not simple because they do not make forms available that are preprinted for people to file, so he will need an attorney to represent him to file the forms property.
Additionally, because of her conduct endangering the child with her seeing drug dealers and possibly using drugs and bringing the child there is all conduct that places the child in danger and shows she is unfit to have custody. The US Supreme Court has said that if a parent is found to be unfit or placing the child in danger they can lose their rights to custody.
So, if he has the child he needs an attorney and will have to have the attorney file a petition for custody and to get a restraining order against her as well to keep her away from the apartment and from your son and child unless she has supervised visitations.
Your son is going to have to be willing to make this move to cut off his own ties with the girlfriend and take these steps to protect his child.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
thank you for this information this is exactly what we needed to know
Thank you for your reply.