Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I was on my ex wife's insurance from may until now. We were

Customer Question

Hi I was on my ex wife's insurance from may until now. We were divorced in may I only found out my insurance was canceled today. She kept me on because I was out of work with no insurance is this legal?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer to your question.

Unfortunately it is, if you are on your spouse's insurance then they only have to provide it if you are married. There are certain states that allow legal separation and keeping insurance but none provide any protection from a divorcee losing their insurance. You will need to get insurance under your own name or purchase COBRA which would give you the same insurance only you paying the costs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok but now that I've been googling it says that we can go to jail for this???????

It is fraud if you continue to say that you are married although you are not. You can get in trouble for that if you knowingly did that but it is unlikely that the insurance company would do so. Fraud is a criminal charge that can cause you to serve jail time. Again, it it unlikely that anything will happen and the insurance company will simply just cancel your insurance but you need to be careful in the future.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?