Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have a child support order for $400 per month for 3

Customer Question

I have a child support order for $400 per month for 3 children. I now receive VA disability of $2000 per month. my ex wife went to get food stamps and was told she is entitled to a portion of my disability. I need to know what is reasonable her.
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court regarding this matter?
Customer: the child support order came about a year before I finally got my disability
JA: Because family law varies from state to state, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In Texas, child support is based on a percentage of your net income (after any taxes) FROM ALL SOURCES, so if you now get the VA benefits, under Texas mandatory child support guidelines, for 3 children she is entitled to 30% of your income. So based on $2000 per month income, she would be entitled to 30% or $600 per month.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.