Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years Experience in Family Law
68197583

Currently in FL. Grandmother is no longer able to care for

Customer Question

Currently in FL. Grandmother is no longer able to care for grandfather. He has dementia and needs to be cared for 24/7. He molested me as a child and I will not take care of him. He needs to go on a list for Medicaid and a whole process to get him in a home. I have no more time I can take off of work. I need to give him to the state or something. Literally need him out TODAY. He has already tried kissing me and touching me. This is deeply traumatic and need help. I don't want to get charged with elderly neglect or abandonment yet I don't see how I could be legally responsible for him. Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

The State can take over his care if your grandmother is incapable of doing so. Where in Florida does your grandfather reside? I will provide the information you need for the process and you can walk away assured that you took the best action.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. We're in Miami. I literally have no where to put him as of tomorrow. I have to return to work. Thank you
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

This is guardianship law in general that I am including just FYI http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/guardianship.stml

The type of Guardianship is a Public Guardian that is appointed by the Public Guardianship Office.

This is who you contact:

"Office of Public & Professional Guardians, housed within the Department of Elder Affairs, appoints local public guardian offices as directed by statute to provide guardianship services to persons who do not have adequate income or assets to afford a private guardian and there is no willing family or friend to serve. The office, which contracts with 17 local Offices of Public Guardianship throughout Florida, is also responsible for the registration and education of professional guardians. Office of Public & Professional Guardians can be reached by calling (850)(###) ###-####/strong> or by email at *****@******.***." http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/spgo.php

There are legal services available if you have questions at:

Guardianship Program of Dade County, Inc.
(305)(###) ###-####/strong>
8300 NW 53rd Street
Miami, FL 33166
Elder, Estate Planning and Health Care

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

"The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Services --(###) ###-#### Guardianship forms are available through Florida Lawyers Support Services, Inc. Your public library or a law library also may be able to provide the forms." http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/48e76203493b82ad852567090070c9b9/e8fd739d221b11c085256b2f006c5a4e

Thank you for using JA!

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time or work if the customer does not rate us positively. There is no additional charge to you for a positive rating and you can still receive a refund. Thank you for your consideration.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's certainly an alternative option, but seems even lengthier than just getting him approved for a nursing home and waiting it out. That is no way solves my issue by acknowledging urgency.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

You can ask the court to expedite the procedures and the court will provide in home care until a bed becomes available.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

The State can take over very quickly and set up all the services he needs. The State can expedite the process of getting into a home as well.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Do you live in the same home with him? If so who owns the home?

There is an emergency appointment under(###) ###-####emsp;Emergency temporary guardianship.—

I apologize I thought the issue was that you no longer wished to care for him and avoid neglect issues. I apologize if I misunderstood.