Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am currently paying alimony and wish to reduce it. Does it

Customer Question

I am currently paying alimony and wish to reduce it. Does it matter to the court that my x-wife currently lives with her boyfriend? If I show this to the court, will this help reduce my payments?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, this does help. See HERE. Now scroll down to "Factors Considered In Determining..."

By cohabitation, needs, assets and debts, goal of self support, and "just and equitable" factors are all affected. So yes, in a modification proceeding, this can be a powerful argument.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.