FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My youngest son who is on the support order currently is

Customer Question

My youngest son who is on the support order currently is turning 19 on 11/30. I currently receive child support for 120 twice a month for him only. This order was initially created on 8/24/2001, when my exhusband was working at Marshalls part time. This order has never been modified. Also, I have been responsible for all of the medical insurance for all three children that were on the order. I wanted to know if I can modify the support, ask for retro active payment to any increases that were due over the years. And, also assistance for my daughters student loans.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Please allow me a moment to respond

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. I would like to know if this something that can be pursued.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your response, I did not realize I would have to pay an additional fee to speak to someone. I would rather send a message. Thanks

Not a problem and I will be happy to speak online chat. So just allow me a few moments

If you never sought to modify and increase support payments in the past, you can not come back now and seek retroactive support and that he simply pay you back for what it should or needed to be. Had you at the time tried to modify it and he avoided service or could not be found, then the Judge would have a legal right to apply it retroactively. However, a party can not come back and modify support and then ask that it be applied from X date, years ago. I know this is not what you were hoping to hear, but you can modify it now and seek to have a new amount ordered. As far as the issue with medical insurance, if he was ordered to pay it via court order and has failed to do so, you could seek to recover that amount which you have paid over this time. In regard to the student loans, it would be the same issue, whereby you need to modify the order and ask that he be legally obligated to pay.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your response.

You are welcome. I know it was not ideal or what you were hoping to hear but I do have an obligation to be upfront and honest. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.