How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1218
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe child support according to the state I got a motorized

This answer was rated:

I owe child support according to the state I got a motorized letter with my 19 year old daughter and I signed also sent. School transcripts showing daughter didn't live with mom she lived with grandparents now child support say I have to go to court I live in Florida I just bought daughter a 10000 car and she wants to go to college I want to pay for it but don't want to send her mom another dime

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

Can you tell me what state you are in? Thanks.

Thank you for your question. That's great that your daughter wants to go to college. She will get to go but now we have to fix the child support.

If you have a child support order, and the order is supposed to still continue, and the child no longer lives with the mother, then you do need to go to court to get the order changed. You can get the order modified (changed) or vacated (removed completely). Once you do this, you will no longer be required to pay child support. It sounds like you need to get the order vacated.

If you're dealing with child support enforcement or child support collection, they can't do anything until you show them an order from the court that says there is no longer an order. In some states child support collection is the one that makes the order, but if you're in my state of NY or another state that has similar laws, the order is done in the court and it's also brought back to court if the child leaves the other parent's house before the child support is finished. That sounds like what is happening here. If you go to court to vacate the order, show the court the school transcripts, and show where the daughter is living -- you can have any bills in her name brought with you to show the new address and you can testify that that's her grandparents' address. You will need to show that the mom doesn't live there either. The car is great but that doesn't count towards child support.

If you get your child support order vacated, you won't have to send her mother any more money. If you need an attorney to do this for you, let me know what city you're located in or near and I can find family lawyers for you.

Best of luck with this! You'll be able to get out of this. You just have to show proof. If you have an attorney, your attorney can do this for you and if you are far from the mom's state, hopefully you won't need to make any or many appearances and with a lawyer can do some of this over the phone.

Please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

A follow-up question is free if it is based on this one, while a new question would need a new post. Also you may make a copy of this transcript so you know what to do.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me help you today!

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm in Kansas with child support I live in Florida all child support owed is rears i was ignorant until just resontly so I probably need attorney for Kansas

Okay, sure. Pls let me know where in KS you want me to look for a lawyer so I can give you information about family lawyers. Thanks!

FamilyAttorney and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions