Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a friend who is in the process of getting her papers

Customer Question

I have a friend who is in the process of getting her papers here in the US. workers permit and so forth. However, I want to either "adopt" her or be her legal guardian or sponsor. She is 31 years of age and has a 2 and a half month old child. She has never been married and has no family here in the States. Is this possible? She lives with me
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. The baby is out of wedlock and the baby daddy is on the birth certificate. He was married and has been just legally divorced. in the meantime had the baby with my friend and she didn't know he was still married. They do not have "custody" over the child. Can I file for custody or part time custody while my friend files custody of her baby so that the baby daddy can't take away the baby from her? He is threatening her to go to the police and say that she kidnapped the baby if she left his house. Can he do that
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You want to adopt your friend, or her child?

Is the reason why you wish to adopt in order to make her immigration matter easier?